The Swedish Evangelical Lutheran Zion Church, affiliated with the Augustana Synod, was organized by fifty people in October 1880. The primary purpose was to provide pastoral care for the Swedish immigrants who settled in West Bay City to work in the lumber mills. During those early years the congregation built the original church on the northwest corner of Henry and Thomas streets. The land was donated by lumber man Henry W. Sage. Many pastors served the congregation in its first 25 years.
In the 1920's, the congregation recognized that the majority of its parishioners were no longer fluent in Swedish, therefore the a decision was made in 1924, to use English exclusively as the language of the church. In 1938, the church was renamed Messiah Evangelical Lutheran Church. During the 1930's and 1940's, the work of the pastors Nordale and Wahlstrom led to the renovation of the original building, the remodeling of the sanctuary, and the beginning of a building fund. With the arrival of Philip Nelson in 1953, plans for building a new church began in earnest. The new church was designed by architect, Alden B. Dow, embodied educational and social facilities, as well as, the worship center. In October 1955, the cornerstone was laid for the present church building and the church was dedicated on October 14, 1956. For the next 40+ years Messiah experienced stable and faithful ministry with Pastors Ringstrom, Niemi, and Fuller.
In April of 1994, our current pastor, Pastor Andreas Teich was called to Messiah Lutheran. That same year, the congregation engaged the services of the ELCA (Evangelical Lutheran Church of America) to assess our facility. The Facilities Task Force presented various recommendations which led to renovations, repairs and new amenities. Today, Messiah Lutheran continues to grow and prosper. Our congregation currently stands at 600 members, who continue to improve and update both the building and the ministry. Each time we gather together, we confess our sins, hear God’s word, confess our faith, and share holy communion.... We welcome you to join us.